Jewelry, Diamond and Gemstone Care
Quality jewelry such as engagement rings, wedding bands, gemstones and pearls that may be worn frequently could lose their sparkle if not cleaned on a regular basis.
A simple plan to keep your diamond and gemstone jewelry always looking beautiful is to clean them with any one of our trusted jewelry cleaners. Our diamond experts can help you find the jewelry cleaner appropriate for your needs.
Clean your jewelry once or twice a week. After you've let your jewelry stay in the cleaner as directed remove the jewelry from the cleaner and brush it with a soft, clean toothbrush to remove any leftover dirt. Take extra care to brush the back of the stones as this will be the area that has collected the most oil and dirt.
Keep in mind that removing dirt could loosen your setting. Once that dirt is removed there may be extra space in between your stone and setting. This could cause the precious gem or diamond to come loose or fall out. If you notice this happening be sure to bring it in immediately and we will be happy to repair it for you.
To keep your jewelry looking its best for years to come there are also a few "Do's" and "Dont's" to follow.
- Do see us every 6 months to have one of our jewelers clean and inspect your jewelry for loose prongs and wear and tear on mountings.
- Do clean your diamond and gemstones regularly.
- Don't apply lotion while wearing your jewelry. Lotions put film on diamonds, gemstones, and pearls reducing their luster.
- Don't wear your jewelry in pools, lakes, the ocean and especially hot tubs. Chlorine and other chemicals can damage and discolor alloys in metal (like gold and platinum) which could slowly erode the metal and color of the gemstones. Also if you have a loose stone and it gets lost while swimming your jewelry could become a sunken treasure.
- Don't wear your jewelry while doing yard work, working out at the gym, moving, or any other physical activity where you may hit or put pressure on your jewelry, or get something like sand and dirt in the settings. If you still want to wear a wedding band during these activities check out our silicone bands that are made to be replaceable and for heavy wear.
- Contrary to popular belief diamonds can get chipped if hit hard enough, prongs can also become broken or loose resulting in lost stones.
- Finally, avoid touching diamonds with your fingers when possible. Smudges can dull your diamond's shine. This can be remedied with a quick rub of polishing cloth, however.
When In Doubt
If you have questions or concerns, feel free to contact one of our jewelry experts at Jewelry Creations and we will be happy to clean and inspect your jewelry at no charge - in fact we encourage you to come in once or twice a year to do so. If there are loose stones or other damage to the ring we can handle the repairs right in house with our two full time goldsmiths.
Storing your Jewelry
Because of the high value and rarity of certain jewelry, some people like to store their jewelry in a safe when not in use. If you have individual gemstones, a soft pouch is good for keeping them from coming in contact with other hard surfaces. It is best to store silver jewelry in a cool, dry place, preferably in a soft piece of felt or cloth. Ask one of our sales representatives about getting a jewelry box for all your valued pieces.
Free "Clean and Check"
Believe it or not, just like your car, your jewelry needs a good bath and a "check" every now and again - if only your jewelry had a check engine light! That is where our free clean and check comes in. It doesn't matter if you bought the item with us or with someone else, we will clean your jewelry and check it over for loose gemstones, cracks, etc. - free of charge. We suggest bringing it in every 6 months to a year depending on the piece. Stop in any time - no appointment necessary.